2004-09-06

Did the Cat Really Say 'I Vant to Be Alone'? Sorry, It Said Meow

From the NYT:
One night, asking his wife about their dinner plans, Stephen R. Anderson, a Yale professor of linguistics and psychology, got the reply: "I want to go out."

The next night, he found the cat clawing the rug near the door. His wife calmed him down by translating: "She's saying, 'I want to go out.' "

So do we conclude, Dr. Anderson asks, that the cat can talk?
The answer, he argues, is no - although, as a human, he could say the same thing by shaking his head, rolling his eyes or even saying sarcastically, "Yeah, sure."

Someone's been busy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Austin said...

Cute blog. Please visit my cat name blog. It is all about cat name.

4:19 PM  
Blogger unixlinux said...

Nice blog. Check out my funny cat picture blog.

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home