2004-09-15

Happy at work? My flamin' oath

[In New Zealand] Using the f-word among your colleagues may not necessarily be offensive, can even be considered polite and helps reinforce team morale, a Victoria University linguistics study suggests.


There's also good news for "whingers". The study finds that complaining to a sympathetic colleague can help build "solidarity" among co-workers.


I can see how what is claimed in the first paragraph might be true if the colleagues in question were working long, hard hours together--maybe putting out forest fires or something? I don't know if it's the best advice for the rest of us though. In particular, I recall the rare occasion when I have slipped up and let flame. I wasn't the recipient of anything resembling solidarity. Sideways looks, maybe. But certainly no solidarity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home