2004-09-17

The Hidden Meaning in Your Name

Could someone named Biff ever be president? Could a Gertrude ever become a prima ballerina? Does your name really play an integral part in who you are and what you will become? Can changing one's name -- common practice with many immigrant families -- actually change one's destiny? The hidden meaning of names is quickly becoming a popular query on Internet search engines as people hope to learn what their name says about them and who they will become.

Earlier in the life of this blog, we heard the hypothesis that certain vowels in first names were sexier than others, and some of us were introduced to the wonderful hotornot.com. "The Hidden Meaning of Names" article from above provides a phonosemantic account of vowels and consonants from which one can "look up" the internal meaning of their name.

From "Will" I was able to put together the picture of a mature woman (W) who is light and somewhat tense (I) and who is possessed of a mysterious force (L). Not good. If I switch to a more abrupt labial articulation though, namely (B) and "Bill", things look a little better. This keeps the light, tense, mysterious bit, but also adds a Kaboom--a sudden, powerful beginning of high spirits and hot tempers.

All things being equal, the kaboom reading doesn't do me much more justice than the mature woman, but I will take it. From here on, any readers of this blog are encouraged to refer to me by my powerful beginning and hot tempers name: Bill.



4 Comments:

Blogger LO said...

I could not help myself and visited the site. My name is the usual blablabla. Then I tried someone else's name, but I added right after my name, resulting in a meaningless string of two names attached. Guess what? It gave an interpretation. Then it comes all the fun. Let' see:

moron: Versatile, intelligent and artistically talented...

dumbass: You are a charismatic individual with a dynamic and attractive personality...

fuckup: With your charismatic personality and persuasive powers you naturally attract all the good things in life which you could want....

smartass: Balanced and fairminded you possess the ability to use sound reason and judgement when determined and decisive action is required...

I wonder how many different 'meanings' they have stored in their database. Maybe what is more absurd is that someone spent time making this up and got money for that (I suppose).

11:19 PM  
Blogger W1ll13 30% Hacker said...

I actually clicked on the very last link of the story, which is somewhat confusingly the same name as the other "hidden meaning of your name" links, but actually goes to a different place: viz., http://genealogy.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.conknet.com/%7Emmagnus/Names.html. This link actually takes you to the Web page of a former MIT linguist who now does sound symbolism stuff. This page doesn't have an auto text box, but merely a chart with different semantic associations for different sounds. Interestingly, this chart gives different interpretations than the auto text box of the first link. Using the auto text box, "Will" no longer signifies a mature woman. Thus, I suppose any blog readers are now encouraged to resume calling me "Will" rather than my powerful beginning and hot tempered name "Bill".

3:35 PM  
Blogger milfcritic said...

sexy mature MILF

7:32 PM  
Blogger khusbhu said...

Name Meanings for baby at thebabywebsite. Know baby name meanings with our huge database for your boy baby name meanings and your girl's baby name

thanks

Name Meanings&Baby Names

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home