2004-12-17

Of Pits and Pitting

A problem has plagued this explinger for some time and he still cannot make sense of it. Perhaps some other explinger might be able to splain it to him. The problem is this: Why do "pitted" olives still have their pits? Now for the second time I have bought pitted olives expecting no hard stones in the center and got just that, hard stones.

My first intuition is that "pitted" means that the pit has been removed. The OED supports this intuition: "Of fruit: having the pit or stone removed; = STONED ppl. a. and a. 6. "
Further, Mrs. \\//!_ _!3 points out that "pitted" cherries do not have pits.

And, there are about a gozillion hits for "unpitted" olives on Google, which do not have pits. Meanwhile, "unpitted" cherries still got their pits.

Somethin' funny goin' on here.

2 Comments:

Blogger LO said...

I have no real solution for the problem, but what strikes me is how the heck you could not notice? I guess they came in opaque cans, right? So next time buy the ones in glass jars and you can stop worrying dude. Or buy something like that

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/itemgroups/19147_0.asp

and you can go both ways.

5:44 PM  
Blogger W1ll13 30% Hacker said...

Go both ways with pits? Like a pit swinger? What is the line from that Robert Frost poem? "One could do worse than be a swinger of pits"? Sorry, I had to!

If I don't see you, dude, have a smokin' good time in Brasil. I'll put down a few Lone Stars for you while I'm in Texas.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home