2005-01-31

Freezing Balls off Brass Monkeys

The origin of the expression "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" is the subject of some controversy.

A British men's underwear company, Brass Monkeys, makes the popular claim that the term dates back to the British navy. Sailors were said to store cannonballs on brass platforms called "monkeys"; in cold weather, the brass would contract or break and the cannonballs would roll away free.

But websites dedicated to etymology dismiss this as poppycock. There is no historical reference to a "brass monkey" in any navy history, say the word police (although the boys who carried charges from the magazine to the guns were called "powder monkeys").

I post this article as it doesn't seem to provide any real relief for the question of the history of brass monkeys' balls and cold weather. Thus, if anyone needs a research project, please, feel free to pre-empt this one. I considered keeping this to myself for my own project, but I don't think I will have time in the near future, as I am still busy working on "sons of monkeys' uncles" and "water-tight asses of frogs" and the like.

5 Comments:

Blogger little dinosaur said...

Hi lads

keep it up

6:44 PM  
Blogger swissred said...

I'm an adware expert, owner of a adware away free resource. I'm happy bloggers like you are starting to cover this hot topic. Feel free to get any info from my website for your blog!

7:54 PM  
Blogger red dessert said...

Scan your PC for free now! Maybe your system is running slow and infected with some malware - come here spyware scan and clean your computer.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Roy Naka said...

You have a great blog here! I will be sure to book mark you. I have a dog photo site. It pretty much covers dog photo related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

1:46 PM  
Blogger unixlinux said...

Nice blog. Check out my ragdoll cat blog.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home