2005-01-20

If I were a hoax eskimo...

Our New Heavenite readers probably noticed that yesterday's snow was quite unsual, not only from someone coming from the tropics. Americans and an European used to snow confirmed me, so now I can blame someone else if I look silly.

I know that there are several names for different types of snow in English, especially if you practice snowboarding, but I wonder whether there is a name for that glistening snow. So here comes another contest. If you were a hoax eskimo, how would you call this type of snow? Entries will be accepted in English, any language of the Eskimo-Aleut family or Icelandic (the last one must be in a full sentence with respective syntactic analysis).

* For our non-linguiist readers, the eskimo snow hoax is explained in this book by Geoffrey Pullum.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Neologiac Spooneristocrat said...

I draw inspiration from the plain-spoken terms used at the snowboarders' site above. They've listed 'crust', 'crud', 'powder', 'slush', and 'ice'. A bit self-evident, no? As such, I suggest we call Wednesday night's snow type "sheen." Because the snow had a sheen to it. And because, unlike a candidate like 'glimmer', 'sheen' has the right phonaesthetic properties: a strident onset in a monosyllable, just like 'snow', 'slush,' and 'sleet'.

2:09 PM  
Blogger W1ll13 30% Hacker said...

Excellent choice "sheen" by above commenter for phonoaesthetic reasons. I wonder if there is some way to incorporate "fluffiness" into it? "Shluff" perhaps or "sheluff"?

On a separate note towards the appropriateness of "sheen" and snow, it does remind us of that legendary Hollywooder Charlie Sheen and of his oft-publicized penchant towards nasal snow. But now with that comment I have bespoiled the beauty and innocence of LO's hoax eskimo conditional. Ach. The snow blows past my window horizontally as I write this.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home