2005-05-02

Finally! An Explanation of Why New Yorkers Talk so Funny!

According to Dick Yarbrough, in an article of May 2, New Yorkers talk funny because "everyone talks in a hurry because they want to get off the streets before they are mugged. New Yorkers say things like 'Watchwhereth **%@# yurgoin,'meaning, 'Excuse me, but you stepped in front of me,' and "fuggedabowdit,' which translates as, 'Thank you, but I must respectfully decline.'"

And an interesting take on the meaning/use distinction from the article: Southerners have the same words as everyone else, they just assign them different meanings.

I'm with you Dick. I'm with you. Only, what about those wonderful Texas accents?

1 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Tell your Secret

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home